Local property market information for the serious investor

Talk to many Cardiff 20 something’s, where home ownership has looked but a vague dream, many of them have been vexatious towards the Baby Boomer generation and their pushover ‘easy go lucky’ walk through life; jealous of their free university education with grants, their eye watering property windfalls, their golden final salary pensions and their free bus passes.

If you had bought a property in Cardiff for say £20,000 in first quarter of 1977, today it would be worth £253,628, a windfall increase of 1168.14%.

But to blame the 60 and 70 year olds of Cardiff for that sort of rise seems a little unfair, with the value of the homes rising like rocket, I don’t believe they can be censured or made liable for that. A few weeks ago, I discussed in my blog the number of people in the Cardiff area who have two or more spare bedrooms (meaning they are under-occupying the house). I see many mature members of Cardiff society, rattling around in large 4/5 bed houses where the kids have flown the nest years ago … but should they be blamed?

We are all just human, and the mature members of UK society have just reacted to the inducements of our property and tax system. The mature generations who joined the property market party in the 1970’s and 1980’s were able to take out huge mortgages, protected in the knowledge that inflation would corrode the real value of the mortgage, while wage gains would boost their ability to repay.

Neither do I directly blame the multitude of Cardiff buy to let landlords, buying up their 10th or 11th property to add to their buy to let empire. They too, are humbly reacting to the peculiar historic inducements of the UK property market.

So, who is to blame?

Well, hyperinflation in the 1970’s meant the real value of people’s mortgages was whipped out (as mentioned above). Margaret Thatcher and Nigel Lawson are also good people to blame with Maggie selling off millions of council houses and Nigel Lawson’s delayed ending of the MIRAS tax relief in 1987; meaning he too can get his share of indignation. The Blair/Brown combo doubled stamp duty in 1997 and again in 2000, which, as a tax on property transactions, precludes a more efficient distribution of the current housing stock. The Government has had plenty of opportunity to change the draconian stamp duty rules to incentivise those mature Cardiff house movers to downsize.

However, I have started to see over the last few years a change in Government policy towards housing. The new breed of Cardiff buy to let landlords that have come about since the Millennium, have had their wings clipped over the last couple of years, with the introduction of new tax rules (meaning it is slightly more difficult to make money out of property unless you have all the national information and Cardiff property trends to hand).

It’s easy to think the only reason that hundreds of first time buyers have been priced out of the Cardiff housing market is because of these landlords. Yet, I believe landlords have been undervalued with the Cardiff homes they provide for Cardiff people. With first time buyers struggling to save for a deposit, if it weren’t for those landlords buying up those homes over the last 10/15 years, we would have a bigger housing crisis than we have today. Since the global financial crisis of 2008/9, local councils have had to cut services, so certainly didn’t have enough money to build new homes … homes that were provided to Cardiff by these buy to let landlords.

One side of the argument is that 1,871 homes are being bought up by buy to let landlords each year in the Cardiff City Council area when otherwise they might have become available to other buyers, the other side of the argument is the current national average deposit is £51,800, which is, by far, the greatest barrier to those wanting to buy their first home. Those homes bought by local buy to let landlords are not left idle, as they equate to 13,096 of new homes for local people, most of whom who see renting as a better option because of the choice, the simplicity and the flexibility which renting brings.

In the 60’s/70’/80’s, the traditional thoughts that you were a failure unless you owned your own home have now all but disappeared, because if you ask many young people, they would probably say renting was the perfect option for them at certain times of their life.

Kate Gwinnutt

View more posts from this author
14 thoughts on “Youngsters unable to buy their first home in Cardiff – Are the Baby Boomers and Landlords to Blame?
  1. buy cbd oil

I needed to draft you one little bit of observation so as to say thanks once again for your lovely opinions you’ve documented in this article. It is quite remarkably generous of people like you to deliver openly exactly what a number of us could possibly have marketed as an e book to end up making some cash for themselves, most importantly given that you could possibly have done it if you ever decided. These pointers also served like the fantastic way to comprehend other people have similar eagerness like my own to know great deal more on the topic of this issue. I am certain there are millions of more fun opportunities in the future for individuals who look over your blog post.

2. propecia cost

Thanks for your whole work on this website. My niece takes pleasure in working on research and it is simple to grasp why. We all notice all relating to the powerful ways you render worthwhile tricks via your website and therefore welcome response from website visitors on this topic while our own simple princess is without question understanding so much. Take pleasure in the rest of the year. Your performing a wonderful job.

3. CITALOPRAM cheap

My spouse and i have been really lucky that Louis managed to finish off his research through your precious recommendations he made through your web pages. It is now and again perplexing to just find yourself handing out steps which people today may have been selling. Therefore we know we need the writer to give thanks to for that. The specific illustrations you have made, the simple web site navigation, the relationships you will help to instill – it’s got most powerful, and it’s really leading our son in addition to the family reason why the subject is fun, which is really pressing. Thank you for the whole lot!

4. geodon tablets

My spouse and i got quite happy that John managed to do his preliminary research through the entire precious recommendations he grabbed out of your web pages. It is now and again perplexing to just continually be giving out points which others may have been selling. So we grasp we have got the writer to give thanks to for that. The main illustrations you have made, the simple web site navigation, the relationships you will help foster – it’s got many impressive, and it’s really helping our son in addition to the family know that the matter is excellent, which is quite mandatory. Thank you for everything!

5. buy bupropion

I am just writing to make you understand what a outstanding experience my wife’s girl had using your web site. She mastered so many pieces, which included what it is like to possess an excellent helping nature to let other people with ease learn some specialized things. You truly surpassed people’s expected results. Thank you for producing these precious, trusted, informative and in addition fun tips about this topic to Lizeth.

6. purchase quetiapine

I am only writing to make you understand what a remarkable experience our princess undergone viewing your webblog. She picked up such a lot of things, with the inclusion of what it is like to possess an ideal teaching spirit to make the mediocre ones without difficulty master specified tortuous topics. You undoubtedly surpassed readers’ expected results. Thanks for rendering those useful, trustworthy, revealing as well as unique tips on your topic to Sandra.

7. curry 7 shoes

I wanted to type a message to express gratitude to you for those fantastic techniques you are showing at this website. My extended internet lookup has at the end been recognized with excellent know-how to write about with my contacts. I ‘d suppose that many of us readers are unquestionably lucky to live in a fabulous site with very many outstanding people with interesting methods. I feel pretty grateful to have come across your entire website page and look forward to really more amazing minutes reading here. Thank you again for everything.

8. kyrie 7

I have to get across my gratitude for your generosity in support of individuals that have the need for assistance with your situation. Your very own dedication to getting the solution throughout turned out to be particularly practical and have specifically allowed those just like me to realize their objectives. The insightful recommendations indicates a whole lot a person like me and extremely more to my peers. With thanks; from each one of us.

9. kd 12

I precisely wanted to thank you very much yet again. I am not sure the things that I could possibly have handled in the absence of the pointers revealed by you concerning such a subject. It had been an absolute hard situation in my opinion, nevertheless observing this skilled form you processed that took me to jump over happiness. I am happy for your guidance and thus hope that you comprehend what a great job you have been putting in educating men and women by way of a web site. More than likely you have never come across any of us.

10. nike react

I am also writing to let you understand what a perfect experience our child enjoyed reading your blog. She mastered many issues, which included what it is like to possess a wonderful teaching spirit to get other people without problems learn several grueling subject areas. You undoubtedly surpassed her expectations. I appreciate you for churning out these priceless, trustworthy, educational not to mention unique thoughts on this topic to Kate.

11. balenciaga shoes

Thanks a lot for giving everyone remarkably spectacular possiblity to discover important secrets from this site. It’s always so fantastic and as well , jam-packed with fun for me and my office colleagues to visit the blog at a minimum thrice per week to learn the latest tips you will have. Of course, I’m also usually happy with the striking information you give. Certain 3 tips in this article are definitely the most efficient we have had.

12. golden goose

I simply had to appreciate you yet again. I’m not certain the things that I would have followed in the absence of the entire points shared by you regarding that concern. Completely was the distressing scenario in my circumstances, nevertheless encountering your expert fashion you handled it made me to leap for happiness. Now i’m thankful for your information as well as hope you find out what a powerful job your are accomplishing teaching people by way of your webpage. I am certain you haven’t encountered any of us.

13. air jordan

Thank you a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily breathtaking possiblity to read from this website. It really is so enjoyable and as well , full of a great time for me personally and my office acquaintances to search your web site particularly 3 times per week to see the new things you will have. Not to mention, I am also actually fulfilled with your outstanding tips served by you. Selected 1 points in this article are truly the most impressive I’ve ever had.