Local property market information for the serious investor

Where will Cardiff Property Prices be by 2021?

cardiff bay

I was having lunch the other day with a local Cardiff solicitor friend of mine, when the subject of property came up. He asked me my thoughts on the Cardiff property market for the next five years.  Property prices are both a British national obsession and a key driver of the British consumer economy.  So what will happen next in the property market? So here is what I told him, and now wish, my blog reading friends, to share with you.

Before I can predict what will happen over the next five years to Cardiff house prices, firstly I need to look at what has happened over the last five years.  One of the key drivers of the housing market and property values is unemployment (or lack of it), as that drives confidence and wage growth – key factors to whether people buy their first house, existing homeowners move up the property ladder and even buy to let landlords have an appetite to continue purchasing buy to let property.

When the Tory’s came to power in May 2010, the total number of people who were unemployed in Cardiff stood at 2,458 (or 5.32% of the working age population in Cardiff parliamentary constituency). Last month, this had dropped to 1,440 people (or 3.05% of the working age population).

As the Cardiff job market has improved with better job prospects, salaries are rising too, growing at their highest level since 2009, at 3.4% per year in the private sector (as recently reported by the ONS).  That is why, even with the turbulence of the last few years, property values in the Cardiff area are 10.63% higher today than they were five years ago.

Many home occupiers have held back moving house over the past seven to eight years following the credit crunch but with the outlook more optimistic, I expect at least some to seize the opportunity to move home, releasing pent up demand as well as putting more stock onto the market. With a more stable economy in the City, this will, I believe, drive a slow but clearly defined five year wave of activity in home sales and continued house price growth in Cardiff.

I forecast that the value of the average home in Cardiff will increase by 16.2% by 2021

16.2% might sound optimistic to some, but according to Land Registry, values are currently rising in Cardiff at 2.8% year on year, I believe my forecast to be fair, reasonable and a reflection of both positive (and negative) aspects of the local property market and wider UK economy as whole.

However, it wouldn’t be correct not to mention those potential negative issues as I do have some slight concerns about the future of Cardiff housing market.  The number of properties for sale in Cardiff is lower than it was five years ago, restricting choice for buyers (yet the other side of the coin is that that keeps prices higher). Interest rates were being predicted to rise around Easter 2016, but now I think it will be nearer Christmas 2016 and finally the new buy to let taxation rules which are being introduced between 2017 and 2021 (although choosing the right sort of property / portfolio mix in Cardiff will, I believe, mitigate those issues with the next taxation rules).

I am telling the landlords I speak to, that with interest rates at their current level 0.5%, the cash in your Building Society Passbook is going to grow so slowly that it might as well be kept under their bed. Property prices, by contrast, have rocketed over the years, even after the property crashes, far outstripping bank accounts and inflation.

So my final thought …  property is a long term investment, it has its’ up and downs, but it has always outperformed, in the long term, most investments. Those in their 40’s and 50’s in Cardiff would be mad not to include property in their long term financial calculations. Just make sure you buy the right property, at the price in the right location.

Kate Gwinnutt

View more posts from this author
19 thoughts on “Where will Cardiff Property Prices be by 2021?
  1. buy cbd

I intended to compose you a bit of note in order to give many thanks again about the awesome basics you’ve contributed above. It’s generous of people like you giving easily all a few individuals could have advertised as an e-book in making some bucks for their own end, and in particular considering that you could have done it if you considered necessary. The basics additionally acted as a easy way to be aware that many people have a similar desire just as mine to figure out a good deal more around this condition. Certainly there are a lot more enjoyable instances ahead for folks who browse through your blog.

2. generic nortriptyline

I am glad for writing to make you know what a magnificent encounter my friend’s girl gained studying your web site. She learned several pieces, which include what it’s like to possess an awesome helping nature to let other folks very easily know just exactly several multifaceted subject matter. You truly exceeded people’s expectations. Thank you for presenting these powerful, safe, explanatory and in addition fun tips about this topic to Kate.

3. risnia online

A lot of thanks for all your valuable efforts on this site. Kate loves engaging in investigation and it’s really easy to understand why. I know all concerning the dynamic medium you give important secrets on this web blog and as well as foster participation from others on that content plus our daughter is always discovering a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are conducting a great job.

4. buy paxil

I’m just commenting to let you be aware of of the exceptional discovery my cousin’s daughter enjoyed going through your blog. She discovered lots of issues, most notably how it is like to have a very effective giving heart to have many more effortlessly fully understand certain extremely tough matters. You really did more than my desires. Many thanks for displaying the helpful, healthy, educational and also easy thoughts on the topic to Gloria.

5. balenciaga

I wanted to put you one tiny note so as to give thanks over again for your personal fantastic advice you have shown above. This has been really remarkably open-handed with people like you to allow extensively all that some people might have made available for an e book to get some bucks for themselves, and in particular seeing that you might well have done it if you wanted. These inspiring ideas likewise acted to be a fantastic way to realize that the rest have the identical keenness just as my very own to know the truth much more when it comes to this problem. I’m certain there are many more enjoyable sessions ahead for many who take a look at your website.

6. birkin bag

I together with my buddies have already been viewing the nice procedures on your web blog and then at once got an awful feeling I had not expressed respect to the site owner for those techniques. Those boys ended up as a result stimulated to study all of them and now have clearly been taking advantage of those things. Appreciation for simply being well accommodating and then for selecting some amazing issues millions of individuals are really desirous to learn about. My very own sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

7. lebron 18

Thanks a lot for giving everyone a very terrific chance to read in detail from this site. It is often so brilliant and full of a lot of fun for me and my office friends to search the blog at a minimum thrice weekly to read the new stuff you will have. And definitely, we are at all times fulfilled with all the extraordinary ideas you serve. Some two areas in this posting are surely the finest I have had.

8. yeezy 500

Thank you a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily brilliant chance to read in detail from this blog. It is often very great and also stuffed with a lot of fun for me and my office mates to search your web site minimum three times in a week to see the new guides you have got. And lastly, I am just always fulfilled with your amazing ideas served by you. Some 3 areas in this post are in truth the most effective we’ve ever had.

9. canada goose

I wish to show thanks to this writer for rescuing me from such a condition. After checking throughout the online world and getting principles which were not pleasant, I figured my entire life was over. Existing devoid of the approaches to the difficulties you have resolved all through the article is a crucial case, and ones which may have negatively affected my career if I hadn’t encountered your blog. Your good capability and kindness in touching a lot of stuff was precious. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come across such a solution like this. I am able to now look forward to my future. Thank you so much for this professional and result oriented guide. I will not be reluctant to refer your web sites to anybody who should have support on this problem.

10. nike sb

I simply needed to appreciate you once again. I am not sure the things that I would have used in the absence of these secrets revealed by you about such topic. It previously was an absolute frightening concern for me personally, however , encountering the expert strategy you managed it forced me to leap over gladness. Extremely happier for this service and even expect you know what a powerful job your are providing educating the rest thru a site. Most likely you’ve never encountered all of us.

11. jordan retro

I wanted to draft you that little bit of observation to say thanks a lot again for the exceptional information you have contributed on this page. It’s so particularly generous with you to offer without restraint just what a lot of people would’ve offered for sale for an electronic book to end up making some bucks for themselves, principally since you could possibly have done it if you decided. Those inspiring ideas also worked as the fantastic way to be certain that many people have a similar keenness just like my own to understand way more with regard to this problem. I think there are numerous more pleasant situations in the future for individuals who go through your site.